JOIN ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK – INDIA! Held for the first time, Entrepreneurship Week India will celebrate today’s opportunities and work to improve the ecosystem for entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial people through activities and awareness campaigns.

Entrepreneurship Week India will be run concurrently with Entrepreneurship Week US that has been sanctioned by the US House of Representatives, and initiated by the Kauffman Foundation, the New York Times and Inc. magazine.

To be truly successful, this initiative has to become a nationwide movement. Your partnership steers us closer to that and will also go a long way in generating the kind of momentum the Week needs to truly be a success! To learn how to partner with the growing movement to improve the entrepreneurial ecosystem, click here

Sunday, March 18, 2007

What stops me from being an entrepreneur?

Before I touch upon the topic, I think its apt to write a little about who qualifies as an entrepreneur.

An entrepreneur is - someone who has an “idea”, works out a business strategy, gets the strategy approved by financiers, secures the dough, gets a office, sets up a business and living beings (staff), revels in skyrocketing profits, sells the brainchild for no less than some crores and enjoys life thereafter! :-)

But does this happen in reality? I m afraid I have to say “not always ” though there are some success stories.

Anyone can have an idea but it takes something special - An “out of the box” idea coupled with determination to become an entrepreneur.

What stops me? I would love to start my own business but do I have the time to even think of an idea? Even if I did, I don’t have enough money and say, I managed funding, I would probably not see any income for years and I might be scorned by my parents and peers, probably be labeled as a “failure”. So I guess... the fear of “losing” is enough to shatter my dreams of being an entrepreneur.

Kingshuk Nag
St. Xavier's, Kolkata

1 comment:

Nikunj Parekh said...

Hi there..

well after reading your post, i dont exactly agree to your views !!

first, you defined entrepreneurship well but this line is a little wrong :
"
sells the brainchild for no less than some crores and enjoys life thereafter! :-) "

an entrepreneur need not always sell his business, if that was true, all the dhirubhais, tatas, bill gates would have sold there business to ppl and would have lived happily !!... its also about carrying forward your business and creating a value proposition for yourself and the society.

Again, when you say about the fear of loosing, well, taking calculated risks is in my view the game of life .... even if you are in doing a job, there is always an insecure feeling of the company goin bankrupt.. or u loosing your job for not performin... so if you have your own business.. you need to be focused and work hard to make sure it grows.. it needs a lot of guts, determination and time for sure.. but its a 'risk' u need to take.. otherwise you arent an entrepreneur !!

Cheers

Nikunj
BBA
St.Xavier's College